Okabe & Haushalter
Call Today! 310-543-7708
Call Today! 310-543-7708
Okabe & Haushalter Blog

Riverside Police Chief Suspected Of Drinking Before Crash

Okabe & Haushalter Feb 24, 2010 Drug Offenses, DUI

Former Riverside Police Chief Russ Leach was allegedly drinking at a strip club before he crashed a city-owned vehicle.

According to Jon Diamond, the attorney representing the club, Leach drank about four glasses of Scotch whiskey while at the topless club, but appeared to be fine when he left. Diamond said he wasn’t acting drunk or disorderly while at the club.

The California Highway Patrol has video surveillance footage from the club that shows Leach leaving the club. About an hour after leaving, Leach crashed the city-owned vehicle he was driving into a fire hydrant. He then continued to drive for another three miles with a hanging fender and two blown tires.

Leach says he was disoriented from the prescription medication he is taking for a back injury and other ailments.

Leach was on medical leave at the time of the accident, but on the day of the accident he announced he was retiring for medical reasons, effective immediately.

Leach said he takes full responsibility for his actions. At this time he has not yet been charged with DUI or a related crime.


Although Leach wasn’t charged, there is an extremely good possibility that if you’re found driving under the influence of a prescription drug, you will be arrested and charged with DUI. In California it is illegal to drive after taking a prescription drug if that drug impairs your ability to safely operate a vehicle. If the police suspect you are too impaired to be driving, they will not hesitate to place you under arrested and bring you into custody.

A South Bay DUI defense attorney at Okabe & Haushalter can help you fight your charges if you’ve recently been arrested for driving under the influence of drugs, whether the drug was a prescription medication or an illegal narcotic. You can trust our firm to work diligently in defending your rights and fight to get your charges reduced, dismissed or overturned.

To learn more about our services, please call to schedule a consultation today!